Monday, December 19, 2011

Samuel Adams Variety Pack Review



I recently picked up a Samuel Adams variety pack case of their beers, featuring 6 different types of beers. Here's my verdict....

Boston Lager - This beer is tasty and has a nice, smooth aftertaste. Very good. It's a great beer to drink ice cold on a hot summer day.

Winter Lager - Another tasty beer. This one supposedly has cinnamon, orange zest and ginger, but I don't really taste them. Still, the flavor is smooth and not bitter. Yummy!

Chocolate Bock - I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I was thinking that chocolate flavor added to beer would be nasty, but it's actually not bad at all. This brew is aged on a bed of cocoa so you get a subtle cocoa flavor.

Old Fezziwig Ale - Meh... this one is not too great. It has a semi bitter aftertaste. This one was named after a character in Dicken's A Christmas Carol, a story which I always hated, about a holiday that I hate, but that has nothing to do with the fact that I don't care for it. Tasting this on a hot summer day would make me turn to water instead.

Holiday Porter - Ewww! Bitter and nasty is the only way I can describe this beer. With each sip the flavor got worse and after a few sips I found myself pouring the rest of it down the sink. Nasty!

Black & Brew - This is a coffee stout, and like their Chocolate Bock the flavor was surprisingly not bad at all. You do get a nice espresso flavor that goes down relatively smoothly.

1 comment:

  1. Sam Adam is great -- when I lived in Boston it was made about three miles from me and I'd stop into their cafe every now and again. BUT, do you know the wonderful beers and ales made by the Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, NY. Some of the very best beers I have ever had anywhere. They are given a secondary fermentation in the bottle, just like champagne.

    Very happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete