Sunday, April 17, 2011

On Getting Older

With each year that I get older I find myself reminded more often that I am, indeed, getting older. It's a reality that we all face and we're all aware of it, even in our youth. But not until you begin to experience things does it really hit you.
 
A few days ago I went to a concert to see one of my favorite artists, PJ Harvey. It was in the middle of the week, and I normally no longer see live shows in the middle of the week as I don't have the energy to make it through the next work day. But since she is a favorite I made an exception. And I paid for it! The next day I down energy drinks and caffeine in an attempt to kick start my sagging energy but my body was not having it. Both my mind and body were deliriously laughing at me, and my co-worker noticed immediately that I was not myself. As soon as the work day was over I went home, got into bed and pretty much passed out. My friend who went with me to the show also had to work the next day, and after discussing our self-induced agony, we decided to cancel plans to go out drinking the next night so we could give our bodies and minds a day to heal. Plus I have plans later today to go up to a festival and then another live show after that. I don't work tomorrow so i'll have the luxury of sleeping in. So things like going out drinking or staying out late on a work night are no longer things that I can get away with or will rarely make exceptions for.
 
About the only thing i'll make exceptions for nowadays is sex. What can I say? I'm a guy. A late night play session during the week is still something i'm game for. Not that I don't pay for it, because several times I have. Getting cramps in the middle of switching positions. Developing aches and pains as a result of being in one position for too long. However, these type of things I find humourous. One time I found myself developing sore, stiff muscles in my waist/pelvic area and to the left of my shoulder and neck. Then I remembered that just a few days before I had been with a friend and his buddy. I was topping his buddy from behind while my friend was standing to the left of me, having me blow him. So that explained why I was feeling the pain I was feeling. But when I recalled the good time I had the pain seemed worth it. Nothing that a few Tylenol can't fix, right?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment